Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wanderlust...

Wanderlust:  (noun) ˈwän-dər-ˌləst -  a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world

I was born with it. An insatiable amount of it. I can't get rid of it and I don't want to. I love it! I love that God has blessed me with such a strong desire to explore and learn about the intriguing world he has created.

                                       Our Halloween trip to Salem, Ma in 2006

I didn't know what it was called when I was a kid. I just knew that I had this feeling inside of me that made me want to see places. The places I was learning about in geography class. The places I could see on the globe I got one year for Christmas. I used to close my eyes, spin the globe really fast, stop it by touching my finger to a spot, open my eyes and discover where I had just "traveled" to.

This is kind of what my globe looked like:


\

It's was colorful, bright and had so many countries, cities and other places labeled on it - all places that were much more exotic than where I came from (at least in my mind)


Now that I am an adult, I can indulge my wanderlust as much as I want. Well, a much as my budget and time allow for anyway. I have gradually passed on the wanderlust bug to my husband - I say a "bug" because I do believe wanderlust can be contagious.

I truly believe "not all who wander are lost"

I do realize travel is not for everyone. I know people that have never ventured further that 2 hours away from my hometown. heck, I know people whose definition of travelling is hauling their camper 20  miles away from home and spending the week. Ah well, to each their own.

Some would argue that you can see new discoveries whether it's 20 miles from home or 2,000 miles from home. While I agree with that to an extent, I do believe one needs to travel a distance away from home more often than  not. I just think we can learn so much about ourselves from the exposure we have to other foods, cultures, arts. and, of course, people!



Our Disneyworld trip in 2007

Where have you traveled? Where do you dream of travelling?  Do you even desire to travel?


Sargent Drive, Northeast Harbor, Maine



                                                       Star Point, Salisbury Cove, Maine


(one of our very favorite places)

Middleton Place - Charleston, South Carolina



So, I hope I have passed on a least a little bit of the wanderlust bug to you. Have I? I bet you've already ordered plane tickets for that vacation you've been saying is not really necessary. It is necessary! For your health, wellness, mind & body!

So get out there, roam the planet,you might just learn a little about other people and a lot about yourself!

May you have fair winds and following seas!










No comments:

Post a Comment