Saturday, October 26, 2013

I've Fallen for Felted Wool Acorns

Aren't these felted wool acorns adorable!? While they are not my original idea, and really all that new of a concept, they are pretty darn cute, inexpensive, easy and timeless. Win, win, win!




There are two ways you can do this:
1.you can make the felted wool balls yourself and collect your own acorn caps....OR...
2.you can buy the wool balls and acorn caps from someone else and just assemble them.

I did a combination of the two. I collected my acorn caps and purchased the wool balls. You would think it would take quite a while to collect the caps but I was surprised how quickly they added up. Before I knew it I had about 300 - I hope my neighbor appreciates my cleaning up his yard for him!

Since I already have a few projects in the works, I figured I would purchase the wool balls from someone else, this time. Plus I was just dying to make acorns and I wanted to be quick about this project.

Assuming that you are using pre-made wool balls, there are really just a couple steps and a few supplies needed.

Supplies:

Felted wool balls - the 2cm (20mm) ones are about the right size for your average acorn caps.
Hot Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Acorn Caps
Handbehg Felts

Basically, you'll be putting a small amount of glue inside the acorn cap - enough to secure the wool ball well but not so much that it oozes out when you press the ball to the cap - use your best judgement.

You'll want to hold them in place for a few moments, just until the glue sets - it's won't take long at all!

Voila! That's it! Really, that's all you need to do - I told you it was an easy craft!

Of course, if you are using raw wool roving to make your own felted balls, then, yes, the process will be a bit longer - still quite easy, though!

there are a number of places you can purchase wool roving, felted wool balls, acorn caps and other supplies. Handbehg Felts has a nice assortment of colors and supplies in their Etsy shop .
Handbehg Felts




There are always folks on Etsy and eBay selling acorn caps. The ones I collected are your standard traditional style but I purchased some "hairy" or "fringed" ones from a lady on Etsy. This style comes from the Sawtooth Pak, I believe, and they are typically more southern. I'm pretty sure there are none in our Maine weather zone.

Right now, 'Honey Gone Nuts' on Etsy has some listings for purchase - and good prices, too! Click here to see!


Honey Gone Nuts - Etsy


If you're not really into crafting but are looking for a quick and easy project that will impress your other non-crafty friends, this could be it. I put 200 of these babies together one night while watching one of my favorite shows - Shark Tank.

Here's a photo of my finished ones -







Maybe, if time allows at some point, I'll make myself up one of these babies - a felted wool ball rug! Cool, huh!?

                                                               
felted wool ball rug - Etsy



 As always, let me know if you have any questions or comments - I would love to hear your thoughts!

                                         
Best Wishes for Happy Crafting,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment